Monday, August 10, 2009

5. The Tragedy of Macbeth - William Shakespeare

My first voluntary try at Shakespeare. The language is addicting, let me tell you. For some odd reason, the day after I finished reading this, I walked into the leasing office of my apartment complex to drop off a DVD I borrowed ... and the manager said, "What hast thou for me?" I mean, was he reading Macbeth last night, too? So naturally, I replied, "Hark! A DVD!"
Well, apparently that was a bit over his head. He looked at me like I was crazy. I mean, don't dish it if thou can't taketh it! ...
Someone should do a modern remake of this story, if it hasn't been done already. It was significant to me how much power Lady Macbeth had over Macbeth - I mean, Macbeth never even wanted to become Thane of Cawdor and "king hereafter" ... but Lady Macbeth basically buttered him up and convinced him to kill all these people so he could become king.
From Act 1, Scene 7:
"What beast was't, then,
That made you break this enterprise to me?
When you durst do it, then you were a man;
And to be more than what you were, you would
Be so much more the man. Nor time nor place
Did then adhere, and yet you would make both."

It almost seems like a similar story to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden ... do women really have that kind of power over men???

No comments:

Post a Comment