Monday, September 28, 2009

38. The Autobiography of Malcolm X - As Told to Alex Haley

Possibly one of the greatest books of all time.
Most people know the general story of Malcolm X - his upbringing in Michigan; his experiences as a young adult in Boston; the years he spent in prison where he first learned about Islam; his activism with the Nation of Islam; and, towards the end of his life, his travels to Mecca and Africa. But there is so much depth in the stories told and the lessons learned ... and certain passages (which I will discuss later) really affected me, given where I am in my life right now.
Alex Haley did an amazing job of really transporting the reader into Malcolm's thoughts and emotions. While there were hints of foreshadowing (i.e. when talking about Elijah Muhammad, he mentioned once "little did I know how things would change") ... I felt incredibly absorbed in and swept up by reading about each segment of Malcolm's life. I definitely had my emotional moments throughout the whole book, but it was the last chapter that really got to me. One of my favorite passages:

"I believe that it would be almost impossible to find anywhere in America a black man who has lived further down in the mud of human society than I have; or a black man who has been any more ignorant than I have; or a black man who has suffered more anguish during his life than I have. But it is only after the deepest darkness that the greatest joy can come; it is only after slavery and prison that the sweetest appreciation of freedom can come."

Given where I am in my life, it was incredibly humbling to read about when Malcolm was in 8th grade and told his teacher that he was thinking about becoming a lawyer.

"Mr. Ostrowski looked surprised, I remember, and leaned back in his chair and clasped his hands behind his head. He kind of half-smiled and said, 'Malcolm, one of life's first needs is for us to be realistic. Don't misunderstand me now. We all here like you, you know that. But you've got to be realistic about being a nigger. A lawyer - that's no realistic goal for a nigger.'"
Then later, after Malcolm returns from his trip to Mecca and Africa:

"My greatest lack has been, I believe, that I don’t have the kind of academic education I wish I had been able to get – to have been a lawyer, perhaps. I do believe that I might have made a good lawyer. I have always loved verbal battle, and challenge ... [and] I don't begin to be academically equipped for so many of the interests that I have. For instance, I love languages. I wish I were an accomplished linguist. I don't know anything more frustrating than to be around people talking something you can't understand."

Here I am, days away from achieving my childhood dream of becoming a lawyer; and trilingual. Words can't express how humbling it is to read about what Malcolm X dreamed of achieving, but never could. Reading this book really made me more aware of and appreciate the opportunities that have been afforded to me ... and reminded me that there is so much more that I could be doing to help others achieve their dreams.

Another interesting passage: "I'm speaking from personal experience when I say of any black man who conks today, or any white-wigged black woman, that if they gave the brains in their heads just half as much attention as they do their hair, they would be a thousand times better off."

Beyonce ... need I say more?? Wigs, weaves, relaxers ... Jihan recently told me that the chemical used in relaxers is the same chemical used in Drain-O (it's used to break the bonds in the hair, thus straightening it). Are we in a worse position than we were in 50 years ago, with commercials for "Urban Beauty" and "Virgin Remy Indian Hair" weave coming on prime time TV in Atlanta?!?!

I'm thrilled that I got to see the original of Malcolm X's diary at the America I Am exhibit ... what a remarkable piece of history. This book is a must-read for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment