Thursday, August 27, 2009

13. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I, like many people, read this book in high school ... it seemed like such a great book back then (maybe because it was short?) but now I'm not really sure why I liked it so much. It's set in the 20's and is about a guy named Nick who moves in next door to a guy named Gatsby who is in the bootlegging business. Gatsby throws these lavish parties and calls everyone "old sport" (I like that - I think I might start doing that). He and Nick become friends, and Gatsby starts liking one of Nick's married friend's, Daisy. Daisy's husband Tom is having an affair of his own - but becomes enraged when he learns of Daisy's relationship with Gatsby.
I won't spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't read it ... if you're looking for a quick read of an old classic, I'd recommend this book - but for me to really give a book five stars, it has to be a fabulous story, or really thought-provoking. To me, this book was neither. To me, it was just a well-written story.

No comments:

Post a Comment