Wednesday, November 4, 2009

60. Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now - Maya Angelou

This is a beautiful collection of short, inspirational pieces by poet Maya Angelou. Angelou shares her thoughts on topics like morality, perseverance, friendship, love, and manners, and weaves in her own life experiences.
This passage epitomizes the theme throughout the book:

"...by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends."

One of my favorite pieces is called "Getups":

"If I am comfortable inside my skin, I have the ability to make other people comfortable inside their skins although their feelings are not my primary reason for making my fashion choice ... then I am so comfortable that whatever I wear looks good on me even to the external fashion arbiters .... Seek the fashion which truly fits and befits you. You will always be in fashion if you are true to yourself, and only if you are true to yourself."

Reading this book reminded me of when I took Dr. Angelou's class at Wake Forest ... and how whenever we would beg her to read to us one of her poems, she would make sure that we weren't following along in our books because she would always change the words!
This was a beautiful, quick read - a great gift idea, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment