Saturday, October 10, 2009

47. Confessions of a Video Vixen - Karrine Steffans

I know. I'm embarrassed that I read this. I was especially embarassed reading it in Borders - and it didn't help that there's a big color photo spread in the middle of the book!
Confessions is the biography/memoir/"cautionary tale" of Karrine Steffans, the infamous music video vixen (and now housewife). Originally from St. Thomas, she moved to Florida with her mom when she was little. In the first part of the book, Steffans tells some really sad stories about how her mom abused her; how she lost her virginity by rape; how her ex-husband and father of her son would force her to perform oral sex on him ... once for two hours until her nose bled.
After Steffans left her husband, she moved to L.A. and eventually got a lucky break and started performing in music videos. She appeared in videos of artists like Jay-Z, LL Cool J, and R. Kelly; she also was in a movie with Larenz Tate and Vin Diesel. While telling her life story, Steffans of course weaves in all the stuff that the book has become famous for - her tell-all tales of sexual escapades with Vin Diesel; Shaquille O'Neal; Usher; Bobby Brown; Ray J; Fred Durst; Method Man (oh, sorry - code name: "Papa"); Irv Gotti; P Diddy; Dr. Dre ... the list goes on. And on. And on.
After reading the first couple of chapters, my heart really went out to her ... by the end, I was wondering how long you can claim "I did it because I had no father in my life and my mother abused me" ... you have to realize what you're doing isn't right at some point ... no? I was also wondering if I could catch something from her just by reading the book. Interesting: no tell-all about the health risks of everything she was doing? She had to have caught something at some point.
The writing was so-so - she (or the woman who actually wrote it) skipped around chronologically, which confused me. I wonder if the New York Times was embarrassed that this ended up as a best-seller. Don't waste your money on this book.

2 comments:

  1. I doubt she wrote it. I came across this book in the "fun reading" stack in my law school's library. It made for a nice detour from higher thoughts on civil procedure and tax law.

    I had similar feelings as you going through the book. On one hand certain events, the early ones, were out of Steffans control. And maybe her later choices were influenced by those.
    However at some point people have a choice about how they conduct their lives.

    She chose the path of a "video vixen" and I had/have no sympathy for her. Ray J? Really?

    //A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2nd comment go me;^)but seriously Alex i had to comment! Why, why, why would you read this?! LMAO but I'm happy to know that you didn't buy it but borrowed from borders! LMAO and I'm sure NY Times was embarassed!

    ReplyDelete