Sunday, December 6, 2009

82. The Greatest Salesman in the World - Og Mandino

This short book, in the form of a parable, was packed with powerful principles behind salesmanship though the principles are definitely universal. The story is about a man named Hafid in pre-Christianity Jerusalem who learns from a wealthy and successful trader. When the trader was a young man, he was given ten scrolls by a man with instructions to guard them with his life but to pass them on before he died. So the trader decides to share the lessons on the scrolls with Hafid. The first lesson is entitled "Today I begin a new life" and has instructions for forming the habit that will lead to the successful adoption of the principles contained in the following scrolls. The other scrolls contain lessons like, "I will greet this day with love in my heart"; "I will persist until I succeed"; "I am nature's greatest miracle and I am a unique creature of nature"; and "I will live this day as if it is my last."

One of my favorite lessons is from scroll II:

Henceforth will I look on all things with love and I will be born again. I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will love the rain for it cleanses my spirit. I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars. I will welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul. I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due; yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge.
I also loved this passage, from scroll VII:

For all worldly things shall indeed pass. When I am heavy will heartache I shall console myself that this too shall pass; when I am puffed with success I shall warn myself that this too shall pass. When I am strangled in poverty I shall tell my self that this too will pass: when I am burdened with wealth I shall tell myself that this too shall pass. Yea, verily, where is he who built the pyramid, one day, not also be buried under sand? If all things shall pass why should I be concerned for today?
This is a more unique variety of self-improvement book that I would definitely recommend reading. Thank you to Justin for lending it to me!

1 comment:

  1. Great book. Very powerful, and a good way to look at life.

    ReplyDelete